If you are a bodybuilding enthusiast, you already know that the bench press exercise is one of the most effective and common exercises for developing your shoulders, triceps, and chest. You can perform the bench press using barbell and dumbbells. However, though you know the weight of the dumbbells, many of you do not know the exact weight of the barbells you should use. So, how much does a bench press bar weigh that should be used while you perform the exercise? There are many varieties of barbell plates but bench press plates and bars are usually of standard barbells. This article will answer your question “how much does a bench press bar weigh”.
How Much Does A Bench Press Bar Weigh?
A standard barbell generally weighs 45 pounds and it is 7 feet long. For bench press, you will always need to add collars or locks to hold weight plates that you want to add to the barbell. So, you will have to add the weight of these locks or collars to the net weight of the barbell when you are calculating the weight of the barbell. You can use a barbell weight calculator to know the exact weight of the bench press barbell.
The most distinguishable feature of a bench press bar is that you can easily add weight plates to each end of the bar and you don’t have to think about security. This feature allows you to do the exercise according to your strength.
- If you want to add weight plates to your bar, make sure that you calculate the weight of both ends to make them even.
- Don’t ever forget to place them in the right position and secure them with locks and collars.
Calculating How Much Does a Bench Press Weigh
Performing a bench press means that you lift the weight plates added to the bar. So, the weight of the bar will be added with the weight of the plates along with the locks or collars. Therefore, when you are calculating the total weight of the bench press bar, be sure to add all three of those things. 95% of the bench press bars weigh exactly 45 pounds. For instance, if you want to do the exercise with 150 pounds of total weight, you have to add 105 pounds of bench press plates.
How to Increase Your Bench Press Plates Weight
Increasing your bench press weight gradually builds your body faster and more effectively. For doing so, you should always know how much does a bench press weigh. Here are some tips to increase your bench press bar weight gradually.
- Place your feet on the ground and directly underneath your hips.
- Line up your feet directly with your hips and don’t let your legs hang so that you can press the ground with your feet when you lift the barbell.
This process will help you increase the weight of your bench press plates gradually.
Alternative: How much does a bench press bar weigh?
Some people face difficult situations with the 45 pounds bench press bars. There is a 33-pound bench press bar for them. This bar has a thinner grip which helps the person with smaller hands. Some people are not simply fit enough to do bench press with barbells. They should try other options like dumbbells or rowing machines.
- You must use a spotter whenever you perform the bench press. When you are holding at least a 45-pound bar over your face, you should be careful to avoid accidents.
- If you are a beginner, having a spotter or fitness trainer with you is a must.
- If you’re comfortable and confident to lift heavy weights, have a spotter in case you slip your grip or become too exhausted to complete the final rep.
So the last words are that whenever you are calculating the amount of weight you want to lift during the bench press exercise with barbells, it is mandatory for you to know the exact weight of the bar along with the plates it holds. So, we have got the answer to the question “how much does a bench press bar weigh”.